Key Indicators for Conversion

Good Morning!

I started the week feeling good that it was only Wednesday and the week wasn't over. Then it was Friday, then General Conference was almost over, and today is Monday. I'll stop discussing how time flies, but I feel it's appropriate that God lets each day feel long, yet the week vanish. I'm grateful for every second I still have as a missionary.

What I want to share today is a bunch of statistics from my missionary experiences. As missionaries we utilize statistics, titled "Key Indicators for Converson" to measure our friends' progress and our commitment to spreading the gospel. Low key indicators don't the inherent worth of a missionary, just as high key indicators don't elevate one to a different status than another. These key indicators help us know where we are succeeding, and what we can do to improve. There's a lot one can learn from them, but the driving factor for missionary efforts is the conversion and covenant commitment of our friends. I've been blessed to witness this in many of my friends, and plenty of others. 

With this context, I hope to share a few statistics regarding my missionary service. These are some interesting fun facts I've calculated over the course of my missionary experience, and I'm excited to share them with you today. As you study these, remember that a successful missionary is measured by their commitment to find, teach, and baptize. Not the quantity of souls they bring to Christ, or any other such measuring tool. 

Was my mission a success? 
Did I learn to give God my all?
Am I truly converted? 

We will learn that together, I suppose. I feel that my heart is in the right place. Let's begin with the concept of time.

I have served within a span of four calendar years as a missionary. Here's the breakdown. 
Days:
Total (start to finish) - 900 (2 years, 5 months & 18 days)
Set Apart - 767 (2 years, 2 months & 6 days)

In that timeframe, I have witnessed over 2,200 souls come unto Christ within the Utah, St. George Mission. This is a measurement of all the souls who've entered into covenants while I've been a missionary, not a reflection of individuals I taught. 

Ordinances Performed:
Baptisms - 9
Confirmations - 10, including our friend who will be baptized this coming Sunday. His name is Manny, we are super excited for him!

I have also participated in the confirmation circle of every person who's baptism I've attended. I thought that was really interesting. 

On the topic of baptismal services and covenants, here are a couple other interesting facts: 
At least 5 of my friends have been endowed, with more coming up as they prepare to be sealed in the Temple! That was one blessing I've gotten to witness as I served in multiple Young Single Adult Stakes. 

I have attended 43 baptismal services thus far, but that will become 44 after this weekend with Manny. That is not, however, the total number of souls I've helped prepare for baptism.
I did find 64% of my friends who ended up getting baptized. 
Also, 22% of the friends I helped prepare for baptism this far were on college campuses. I loved working in the YSA, it's a blast to be in that environment with people my age!

I've also been privileged to serve during multiple temple open houses and witness a temple dedication! 
Temple Dedications: 1 (St. George)
Temple Open Houses: 3 (St. George, Red Cliffs, & Manti)

Now for some more mundane facts:

Mass Emails Sent: 128 currently, 129 after next week.
Missionaries Trained: 3 (Elder Dearing, Elder Cammack, & Elder Hironymous)
Missionaries Sent Home: 1 (Elder Dickey)
Transfers as District Leader: 9
Transfers as Zone Leader: 5
I have served for 18 total transfers.
I received a haircut 16 separate times.
I have given 34 talks, not including my upcoming homecoming talk on April 21st. 

I was involved in 2 car accidents; one in Kanab with Elder Dickey and one in Minersville with Elder Dale. Maybe it's a good thing I'm heading home soon or the trend could continue!

I have also opened two missionary apartments: One when I was in the St. George YSA with Elder Koyle, and again just today, in Minersville, with Elder Dale. It took maybe 2 hours this morning and we had everything in. 

When I first started serving, I only had 67 people on my mass email list. Now I have 124! It almost doubled. 

There are now 5 English Zones in the Utah, St. George Mission. I have served in the original 4, but not the newest one. 

Transfers per Zone:
Richfield - 7
Cedar - 7
Washington - 1
St. George - 3
St. George South - 0

This one is really fun for me. Most missionaries are sent to locations where they cover a single ward (congregation) and are one portion of a single Stake (6-12 wards in a geographical area). As a Utah missionary, we almost always cover a Stake, sometimes more. I have also been transferred quite significantly. Here's the breakdown: 

Wards covered?: 126
Stakes covered?: 16

I was a little selfish and wanted to be transferred back when I was in Kanab, to a completely new area. Though I was indeed transferred, I have previously covered the Minersville Stake. I did not double up on the above units I was assigned to. The same principle applies for the transfer I returned (in part) to an area I'd previously served in.

Oh, and for reference; there's currently 67 Stakes in the mission.

The following is a list of companions I've served with, and their dates of service:

Companion Dates of Service: 13 Total
Elder Koyle: 11/24/2021 - 12/26/2021; 10/25/2022 - 1/16/2023
Elder Bailey: 5/11/2022 - 6/20/2022
Elder Gibson: 6/21/2022 - 8/1/2022
Elder Stucki: 8/2/2022 - 9/12/2022
Elder Dearing: 9/13/2022 - 10/24/2022
Elder Jorgensen: 1/17/2023 - 2/27/2023
Elder Mason: 2/28/2023 - 4/10/2023
Elder Shipp: 4/11/2023 - 5/23/2023
Elder Bagley: 5/24/2023 - 8/15/2023
Elder Cammack: 8/16/2023 - 11/7/2023
Elder Hironymous: 11/8/2023 - 12/12/2023
Elder Dickey: 12/13/2023 - 1/30/2024
Elder Dale: 1/31/2024 - 4/16/2024

Only 5 of these Elders are still set apart as missionaries, serving in the Utah, St. George Mission. 

This is a list of the areas I was assigned to, and the associated transfer I was present. Fun fact, if I was a Sister missionary I'd have to be transferred every single transfer to serve in this many areas! 

Transfers/Areas: 12
1. Mt. Pleasant North (Elder Zackary Koyle)
2. Washington + St. George YSA 2 (Elder Nelson Bailey)
3. La Verkin (Elder Adam Gibson)
4. Salina (Elder Nicholas Stucki)
5. Salina (Elder Jackson Dearing)
6. St. George YSA 1 (Elder Zackary Koyle)
7. St. George YSA 1 
(Elder Zackary Koyle)  
8. Beaver / Minersville (Elder George Jorgensen)
9. Richfield (Elder Adam Mason)
10. St. George YSA 1 + St. George East (Elder Scott Shipp)
11. Ephraim + Ephraim YSA 1 (Elder Kache Bagley)
12. Ephraim + Ephraim YSA 1 (Elder Kache Bagley)
13. Cedar City + Cedar YSA 2 (Elder JT Cammack)
14. Cedar City + Cedar YSA 2 
(Elder JT Cammack)  
15. Kanab/Kaibab (Elder Darion Hironymous)
16. Kanab/Kaibab (Elder Edward Dickey)
17. Minersville (Elder Samuel Dale)
18. Minersville
 (Elder Samuel Dale) 

Well, that's about it. 

- Was my mission a success? 
I dare say it was. Not because of the impressive (or otherwise) key indicators above, but because I've strived to devote my whole heart to the service of God. I feel confident in the efforts I put forth, and I'm determined to see it through to the end. 

- Did I learn to give God my all?
Yes, I have. I know that total commitment takes a great deal of willingness, and a heightened ability to work by the Spirit. It's taken lots of time to develop, but at some point I started following spiritual promptings more often. I learned to put the work over my own desires. I fall short all the time, but I've grown immensely in this regard over the past few years. 

- Am I truly converted?
My conversion is much stronger than it has ever been. However, I've found that a conversion has a short shelf life. If one isn't seeking to strengthen their understanding of Christ's gospel, and put forth consistent effort to a relationship with their Heavenly Father, their conversion is more likely to crumble and wash away. When you nourish your faith, it will grow. If you don't nourish your faith, it will slowly weaken, wither, and pass away. Always seek to nourish your conversion.

This is a quote from Joseph Smith, known as "The Standard of Truth". In it I find courage and confidence in the gospel, knowing that it will be spread to the whole earth! The Prophet Joseph Smith says it better than I ever could:


"Our missionaries are going forth to different nations, and in Germany, Palestine, New Holland, the East Indies, and other places, the Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done."

This is my testimony, and my proclamation. That the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Christ's restored New Testament church. It is the vessel by which the Father guides His children today, through modern, living prophets and under divine priesthood authority. There is no other organization or religion on the earth that is authorized to perform the saving baptism and temple ordinances. If the work was in vain, we'd have found out 200 years ago. I testify that missionary work is an opportunity and a blessing for all who serve, and give the time to learn the gospel. Joseph Smith was a prophet, as imperfect as the rest of us, yet uniquely positioned to usher in the fullness of the gospel, under Christ's direction. The Book of Mormon is the word of God and its precepts will bring us back to our Heavenly Home.

If you know this work is true, stick to it and nourish your faith. If you have yet to discover this truth, do the spiritual work to find out now. It's the opportunity that will shape your eternal destiny the most. Reach out to me if you have questions or are in any way curious. I know the gospel would elevate the quality of life you now experience.

- Elder Williams

Pictures:
1. Elder Olsen and Elder Sherwood stole my phone.
2. Dinner at the Crazy Cow.
3. Elder Young and I!
4. My eyes changed colors!
5. Manderfield, looking West.
6. Elder Dale and I!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Aim for the Donut, Not the Hole."

One Week Down, Many More to Come!

Celestial Buffalo