#LikeFireIsBurning

Good Morning!

Our friend Manny was baptized on Sunday, and I was honored to perform his confirmation. It was a beautiful service, I couldn't have asked for a smoother final baptism to have attended. Everything just fell into place. I'm grateful for Manny's commitment to the gospel and his wonderful family. They're such an example of Christlike unity and have a sincere desire to follow the gospel principles in their lives. 

I've given the past 2 1/2 years some reflection this past week, but oddly not too much. I am pleased with the mission I have served and the opportunities that I have come. I've made lifelong friendships among missionaries and my teaching friends. I was privileged to have two amazing mission presidents; President Kaluhiokalani & President Staples, with their wonderful wives. I have reaffirmed that the gospel of Jesus Christ is true, and is the most powerful source of strength, motivation, peace, healing, and guidance one could ever need. I'm grateful for how these and so many other individuals have helped shape my life to what it is today. 

I have worn the phrase "Like Fire Is Burning" on the inside of the ring I wear daily. It's been present and at least in subconscious thought for my entire missionary service. It may not have always been the motivating factor in all my efforts, but I feel it's appropriate that this phrase defines my missionary experience so well. 

On the front is the scripture 2 Peter 1:10. Here is some context for the verse.

It begins by saying that Christ has given us "all things that pertain unto life and godliness". It is by Him that we obtain the promise of being "partakers of the divine nature". v5-8 emphasizes the importance of some Christlike attributes (diligence, faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness & charity) and how they build on each other, and promises that if you develop these then you "shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." v9 says that if you lack these traits then you are "blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins." Here's the emphasis, and one reason I love the tenth verse so much:

v10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

I love the promise that as we develop the above Christlike attributes and rely on Christ, we are promised solidity through life. Though trials will come, hard times will arise, and pages in life's book will continue to turn, your foundation on the rock of Christ will not crumble. 

I desire to share a selection of verses from Alma chapter 29 that I feel are very applicable to my life, and the desires of my heart as a missionary. 

1 O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people! 
2 Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth. 
3 But behold, I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me. 

4 I ought not to harrow up in my desires the firm decree of a just God, for I know that he granteth unto men according to their desire, whether it be unto death or unto life; . . .  
5 Yea, and I know that good and evil have come before all men; he that knoweth not good from evil is blameless; but he that knoweth good and evil, to him it is given according to his desires, whether he desireth good or evil, life or death, joy or remorse of conscience. 

6 Now, seeing that I know these things, why should I desire more than to perform the work to which I have been called? 
7 Why should I desire that I were an angel, that I could speak unto all the ends of the earth? 
8 For behold, the Lord doth grant unto all nations, of their own nation and tongue, to teach his word, yea, in wisdom, all that he seeth fit that they should have; therefore we see that the Lord doth counsel in wisdom, according to that which is just and true. 
9 I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy. 

10 And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember what the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me. 

Verses 9 & 10 are especially applicable to me in my experience. Remembering the tender mercies and miracles I've participated in as a missionary reminds me of the Lord and how He has healed and blessed my own life. The next verses reflect my joy to have served among so many valiant missionaries:

13 Yea, and that same God did establish his church among [my friends]; yea, and that same God hath called me by a holy calling, to preach the word unto this people, and hath given me much success, in the which my joy is full. 
14 But I do not joy in my own success alone, but my joy is more full because of the success of my brethren, who have been [in] the land of [St. George]. 
15 Behold, they have labored exceedingly, and have brought forth much fruit; and how great shall be their reward!

I love pondering that thought. The reward one experiences for faithful missionary service is, from what I hear, worth the time in every way. I pray that over the course of my earthly, and eternal, life, I may recognize how missionary service has prepared me to move forward with faith. 

I will close with the following response I gave in one of our zone chats last Summer.

Why are you here, serving a mission? June 2023 Richfield Zone Chat.

Because I know the price of obedience, and disobedience. I have found what it is to commune with the Spirit of the Lord in my own life, and just how costly it is to lose that influence. By trusting in God I've accomplished miracles. I need everyone to know of the Savior's reality just as truly as I do. ❤️‍🔥
#LikeFireIsBurning

The gospel of Jesus Christ is true, it is restored to the earth by the prophet Joseph Smith, and it is found, plainly, in the Book of Mormon. This is Christ's restored church, and I'm so grateful to be a part of it. 

I love you all! If you want a link for my homecoming talk please reach out via email or Facebook Messenger. Thanks for following my missionary adventures!

- Elder Williams

I will figure out a phone number later. Contact me if you want it!

Pictures: 
1. We keep running into great pyrenees dogs.
2. Elder Bagley & I.
3. This is an old car at a show in Beaver.
4. The sky in Milford.
5. We found a rabbit!
6. Manny at his baptism!
7. Final District Council!
8. Elder Simon & I!
9. Dinner with the Wintch family at Wah Wah ranch!
10-14. Pictures from the departing missionary activities!

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Aim for the Donut, Not the Hole."

One Week Down, Many More to Come!

Celestial Buffalo